Friday, October 09, 2009

Floating in a Sea of Pumpkins



We went to Honey Pot Hill farm with our playgroup pals and Keagan thought it was great to be the pumpkin area on this stone platform. We also had some cider donuts and a hay ride. The place was PACKED because of school groups and it was challenging just getting a parking space and getting back to the main gathering area. It was fun though- despite being a bit hectic.

I had a serious Mommy moment though, as we were getting on the hayride. I was wearing Torin in the ergo and had Keagan next to me chomping on an apple and we were sitting on the wagon letting others board, when I saw two boys (approximately 8 or 9 I'd say) throwing apples at cars in the parking lot. It's hard to describe the setting, but they were in the pumpkin area (where these pictures are from) and it's down below the parking lot which has a steep drop off before this pumpkin area that isn't walkable, so you walk around either side to get down there. The first time I heard the odd "thunk" noise of an apple hitting a car I looked over and didn't believe that that was actually what they were doing. When I saw it clear as day the second time, and no chaperon approaching, I stood up on the hay ride and threw my voice at them "Boys! Stop that!" And they dropped the apples they had in their hands instantly and I said "Does anyone know who is watching these boys?" and the other adults in the pumpkin area all shook their heads but one took charge and lead the boys away. I could not believe the lack of supervision. I was frightened to think that this would be the kind of situation Keagan would be in in a few years (not that he would be the one throwing apples- at least I hope not, or he's in for a world of trouble- but just that he'd be in this kind of field trip with lacking attention from teachers/chaperons). Unbelievable.

No comments: